The Business of Art
Here at 23 Sandy Gallery we host two national juried book artsshow each year. These shows charge an entry fee or submission fee thathelps administer and promote the call for entries, intake of submissions,curation of show, and general administration, marketing and management of theshow. These fees are used for many purposes, including the following:
- Running the submission process, which includes paying aprogrammer or forms provider to program the form, accept and host the onlineform submissions and maintain the submissions database.
- Advertising the call for entries on art deadlines web sites andpublications that require a fee.
- Printing and mailing a printed, full-color catalog to our topcollecting museum and library customers as a way of promoting the show. This isa major expense as our catalogs are very expensive to print and mail. We mailanywhere from 30-50 copies to libraries and museum curators.
- Purchasing a “purchase prize” book that is donated toa library. With our most recent show this book was given to a randomly selectedlibrary amongst those who voted for our “librarian’s choiceaward.”
- If there is a guest juror involved we pay them for their time,or give them some type of thank you gift, or purchase a book from the show to donate totheir library.
- Postcard printing and mailing.
- Insurance to cover the works in while they are in the gallery incase of loss, theft or damage.